Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Old Painting 1995?


I was going through some old emails and found this picture my brother sent me of a painting I did for him in like 1995 or 1996. Part of the fun with this image was that I had to mail it from Toronto to San Diego and went to my local post office which, at the time, was the oldest post office of Toronto, the office of old York.

Anyways, they do not have anything modern there, that is part of their schtick, so I had to apply $60 of small denomination stamps to the painting to send it down. Years later, I think 2000, I was staying in SD and decided to heavily rework the background elements. I was more satisfied with the appearance of the woman, her look is more ambiguous and she appears to glance to the male and the viewer simultaneously. The guy from the left side with his back turned was a new addition as well. My brother? Well he wanted to be more monochromatic in blacks and grays.

And if you are curious about the old post office, it is still going strong, check it out here. You can even get sealing wax!